Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

There are just some things...

This is somewhat of a sober post in reference to something I found on the web earlier that I wanted to share with you. I hope you take the time to read it after my rambles as it made my eyes water.

I don't write very much about the time that I served my country in the United States Marine Corps, but, I will tell you now that the world looks like a much different place from within those ranks.  Due to recovering from surgery just prior to my squadron deploying to Iraq, I was transferred to another squadron and missed the opportunity to see the sands. (I deployed later with the squadron I transferred to, just to another part of the world.)  Many of my friends went and are there today providing air support to the troops on the ground and "in the shit".  By providing air support I mean that we were the maintainers of F/A-18 Hornets.  By maintaining our jets, our pilots were able to get in, drop the ordnance, and get out therefore enabling the troops on the ground to proceed with their duties.  It didn't seem like anything but just the normal everyday business as usual back then, but when I look at the big picture now...it quiets my soul to know that I was a part of something bigger than any of us truly realize.

One of our jets, I think this was over Key West.























Our "Digi" (short for digital) jet affectionately referred to as "Nuts" for the double 00.














(I found these pictures on the web also but I have actually turned a wrench or two on that particular jet!!  She was a pain in the ass sometimes but she sure is pretty.)

When they say, "Freedom isn't free..." they mean it.  It's not just a catch phrase someone makes a lot of money off of.  It's the truth and it's chilling how some disregard it at a whim and never take the time to wonder what it would be like if the fight was here on our land.  What it would be like to be made to cover your mothers face as well as your own in the scorching heat of a Texas summer instead of lounging around a swimming pool and laughing with all of your friends while you don a swimsuit that you would be killed for wearing.  We take for granted (me included sometimes) being able to say what we want with little to no real danger of repercussions because of our first amendment rights.  How many of us loud, opinionated southern women would be slain within 3 minutes of opening our mouths in a world where women are to be seen and not heard? 

And how many of you know someone or know someone who know's someone who gave their life for that right?  Here in Texas, there are a lot that have, do, and will serve their country. We are a patriotic state.  My brother is serving right now overseas, working on the same jets I did.  My cousin is in training to fly the jets that my brother and I worked on.  In our family, we are patriots.  We respect the lives laid down at our feet so that we may walk the path of freedom everyday.

I found something while going through my email today that I hope you'll take the time to read.  It's a poem written by a former Marine (there are no "ex" Marines) after he got out at the end of his active duty obligations.  It's called "Alive".  There are just some things that we can never understand unless we have been there and done that.  Having served, I saw the behind the scenes look at our military and know just what sacrifices are made everyday by those in uniform.  Have some respect and keep them in your prayers.  They're doing what most of us don't want to do and what some of us can't. God bless our military and keep them safe.

Ciao.

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a great poem... its good to keep things in perspecitive thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Nuts was a bastard jet, always broken! I feel the same when I look back on my time in the military. It really didn't seem like much when I was 18-23 but looking back now I too see the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree lady! I always bitched and moaned when I was in, but now every time I hear the National Anthem or hear a prayer a/b the troops, I stand still and almost get a tear in my eye for those who are over there in the fight and for the parents who never get to see their babies again because they died for us to spout of shit like it's nothing.

    ReplyDelete