Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Dating Game.

Most of you know that I have some crappy luck with guys and the outcome is never good.  I am, sad to say, always the one who is betrayed, lied to, cheated on, and abandoned.  I'm tired of being a victim wallowing in my own misery and self-pity because that just makes me bitter.  And if it's two things people really don't like, it's a bitch and a bitter bitch.  I don't want to be either.  Been there, done that.

Recently, I joined eHarmony.

It's the dating site that matches you with other people based on a 29 dimension personality profile kind of thing.  Within a weeks time, they matched me with 80+ men. Once you are "matched" it's up to the two of you to communicate with one another.  They have what's called "Guided Communication" which is started by either person sending 5 questions for the other person to answer. You choose these from a list of pre-selected questions. There is a wide range of these questions. 

**As a matter of fact they just matched me with a man named Fred in Austin...I went to his profile and WOW. Aside from being a self-professed romantic who also watches football, a single father (SU-WEET!! That means he understands the demands on a personal life that children can make...), family oriented, 8 years my senior (hey, don't judge...I'd rather date a 45 year old who treated me right than someone my own age who wouldn't...he's not 45.), likes comedies and romantic comedies (YEA! No fighting over me "owing" him a horror flick for dragging him to a romantic comedy!), sounds like he's just an all around great guy, and (enter shallow comment here in 5, 4, 3,2, and...) he has a very (read: VERY) nice smile and kind eyes.  Ok, so maybe that's not "shallow" but in addition to being attracted to someone intellectually, I believe that you must also be attracted to them physically in order for things to work out.  Some people's opinions may differ from that...buuuuut.  Hopefully I hear back from him.  By what he has indicated on his profile, he is a "hopeful".  As in I am "hopeful" that he responds and things go well.  :)  *fingers crossed*

If you send first, the other person answers (or in some cases doesn't) and sends you 5 of their choosing.  If you so choose to answer, you do so and send them a list that you have already made of "Can't Stands and Must Haves".  These are 10 things in each category that you can't stand in other people (i.e. rudeness, cockiness, ill-manners, belligerence, illegal drug use, etc...) and that you must have (i.e. affectionate, caring, selfless, acceptance of your children, kindness, etc...).  If they are still interested, they send you theirs.  At this point, you send them a list of 3 more questions. This time they are "free speak" answers as in your own words. The 5 initial questions are multiple choice with an option to answer in your own words.  These last 3 are solely in your own words.  Again, if still interested, they will send you 3 questions back.  After this third step, the next step is to "free speak email".  None of your personal information is ever revealed to your matches.  Your personal email and phone number are kept secret unless you personally give your match this info. (I like this.)  Now, you are free to talk about anything and everything under the sun.  In the beginning of the communication process you also have the option to skip right to this last step but I prefer to do the guided thing.  You also have the option to "close" the match and this can be helpful if you run across a rude, sexually harassing kind of person or someone you are generally not interested in.  It closes off any future attempts for communication.

Why eHarmony you ask? Well,...I've met guys in bars, I've met them at work, I've met them through friends,...and nothing has worked. I am an asshole magnet according to what my dad said once.  LOL  And I heard a statistic somewhere that 1 in 5 relationships these days is started online.  One of my best friends is one of those statistics and they are married today and have been for 7 years or so now.  So, why not?  You never know.  My Knight In Shining Armor may be waiting on eHarmony.   I figure I'll give it a shot.  They say that on average, members are on here for 3 months or longer before you find the one.  It's been like, a week.  So, we'll see how it goes. I'll keep y'all updated on the goings on.


For those of you interested in super cute and economical decoration ideas for the impending Halloween, head on over to Mrs. Adventure's blog.  Yea!!!


Hope y'all have a wonderful day!  Thanks for reading!! 


G

1 comment: