Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NOLA

Wow. What a weekend...

Friday morning started out VERY early.  We're talking about like, 3:30-ish for a quick shower, get Monkey ready, and a mad dash scramble to remember anything I might have forgotten.  I left the house without my camera because it is where I left it last...and I don't remember where I left it.  (sad face)

The ride to the airport was fast and furious as calm and collected as it could be.  We live about an hour and 15 (or so) minutes from the Austin airport.  My mom rode with me so she could take my car back and I wouldn't have to pay for parking. So we get there and I have a stroller, a diaper bag doubling as a purse, and one Adidas duffel bag with the rest of our stuff in it.  To make things just slightly easier on myself, I checked the duffel at the curb and so then it was just a matter of me pushing the stroller.

We get to security and of course I empty my pockets, take off my shoes, get Monkey out of the stroller, fold it up, put it on the conveyor belt...try to walk through and they tell me to take Monkey's shoes off and send them through.  Really?  Ugh!  Fine,...whatever.  So I untie his shoes (the ones that took me 10 minutes to get on him this morning because he likes to wiggle!!!), put them in one of the smaller send-it-through containers.  The stroller gets freaking stuck in the x-ray thing and when we get that back, then his shoes got lost in there!!!!!  COME ON ALREADY!  We finally get past security (after they had to check my diaper bag b/c I had water in there for his bottles...) and to our gate.  Boarding the plane was OK.  We sat next to a really nice girl who looked about college age (which is kind of a silly thing to say because people go to college at all ages these days...to clarify, she looked about 21-22) who was very sweet. She didn't mind Monkey at all and we were both pleasantly surprised when he didn't squall the whole time.  There was a layover in Houston with no plane change so after everyone who was leaving de-planed, I realized that OF COURSE, Monkey had loaded his drawers.  Seriously, son?  Right now?  So I make my way to the back of the plane where I though I might squeeze the two of us into the lavatory for an interesting diaper change, and when we get back there and claim our row, there was another woman back there that Monkey thought he needed to flirt with.  LOL  We said a few things back and forth as a flight attendant was there too and they said they didn't mind if I changed him right there on the row.  SWEET!!!  A quick diaper change later, we were all set and actually kept the entire row to ourselves for that flight.

We land in New Orleans and gather all of our stuff, so far Monkey has been great considering all the hustle and bustle I'm doing.  LOL  While booking my flight, I also made a rental car reservation.  I had the confirmation sheet with me, but got on the wrong shuttle.  (I confirmed through Budget, but got on the Hertz shuttle)  Thank goodness the driver was checking to see if we were supposed to be on there.  We finally get to Budget and Monkey is passed out.  I upgraded from a Chevrolet Cobalt (aka sardine can) to a Dodge Charger.  I must say that I was happy with my decision because it was a much better alternative to sitting in my sons lap while he was strapped in his car seat...  LOL  Aaaand, it was a really smooth ride. Bonus.

We finally got into Slidell and got settled down a little bit at my BFF's mom's house while we waited for everyone to get off work. It was SO great to see them again!!  Friday night we really didn't do much but sit around and catch up and play with the boys.  (BFF has a son also but he is a little older than Monkey)  Saturday, we went to BFF's apartment and sat around catching up some more while the boys took a long, much needed nap.  We were trying to decide what to go and do and decided we were going to take her car and needed to drop mine off at Miss L's.  We get there and it started POURING rain.  There was a thunderstorm warning and it was right on top of us.  So being perfectly content with continuing to visit and in the comfort of the house where anything we needed for the boys was right there, we just let it rain.

Sunday, BFF and I took Monkey (her husband kept hers for the day) to Gulfport, MS to the outlet mall.  We did some walking around and shopping and really had a good time being out.  It was slightly easier with just one kiddo to mind and therefore made for a good outing.  Monday was more enjoying company and packing to leave.  I had to get the rental back and make sure we were there in time to not be rushed.

Yeah.  Well, remember how I told you that I got on the Hertz shuttle instead of the Budget shuttle?  In the POURING rain, take a wild guess at where I tried to turn in my rental.  Yeah. Hertz.  I get there, pull all the stuff out of the trunk, get Monkey (who is sleeping) out, and hand the girl the keys.  She asked me if this was their car... "No, it's not. So could you please hold that umbrella over me again while I put him back in the car?"  Holy COW, Gracie!  Really?!! Bonehead.  I finally get the dang car turned in, but am soaked through.  That is such a nasty feeling.  And we still had to get to the airport and through security (grr) and find our gate.  Mind you, we have plenty of time, but I'm still stressing.

We get to terminal side of the airport and I'm standing behind this one girl who is talking with the curbside baggage check guy.  He tells her that her flight to Houston (where we are going) is delayed for 4 hours.  (My blood pressure immediately spikes upon hearing that). He tells both of us to go inside and speak with the people at the desk inside.  While waiting in line, I called my dad who was supposed to be picking us up and told him about the potential problem.  Turns out, the flight before ours to Houston was delayed.  *whew...*

I found the sunscreen in the car before I turned it in and shoved it in the diaper bag to transfer over to my other bag to be checked.  As soon as I shoved it in the diaper bag, you know I forgot ALL about it.  We get through the metal detector walk through thingy and the lady tells me she's gonna have to check my bag.  I'm like, OK cool.  I knew I had water in there for Monkey's bottles so I was cool with it.  I'm struggling to get the stroller unfolded while holding Monkey (so he doesn't run off because he's quick like that!) and to make sure all our stuff stays together and the lady comes back to me with the sunscreen in one hand, diaper bag in the other.  "Um, ma'am, we cannot allow you to take this on the plane (and proceeds to rattle off a bunch of crap about security and TSA regulations and rules). Do you want to go back and check your bag?"   Um, excuse me, what?  Did you seriously just ask me if I wanted to check my diaper bag?  The one you just had your hands all over and know that there are diapers, feeding supplies, and ALL the necessities I might need to travel with this 14 month old?  Did you really just ask me that?  Dumb cow.  So i told her no and asked her if we could just throw the shit away.  Problem solved. No big deal.  *talking under my breath* Check my bag.  I guess you don't have to be intelligent to work for TSA...

We get through the first flight and Monkey is doing OK.  Then we land in Houston and have to change planes.  We only had to go six gates up but holy halibut that airport was freaking hot.  It was easily 85 degrees or better in there.  Monkey is a hot baby anyway and started to get warm quickly.  I was holding him, the diaper bag and had a backpack on and was REALLY warm.  We finally get boarded, seated, and in the air and Monkey was just over it.  He was ready for the day to be over and was more fussy on that flight.  But we finally made it to Austin, and when we did, my dad was waiting.  Good thing to b/c I was glad to have the extra help with him. LOL    He cried for the last 10 minutes or so of the car ride home but he was hot, and didn't want to be strapped in any longer.  As soon as he was changed and had his p.j.'s on, i put him in his crib and he stretched out and went immediately to sleep. 

All in all, Monkey was really good on this trip, and I had a lot of fun.  A true success.  Traveling with a small child is no easy feat and I probably won't do that again for a while.  And I'm sure it would have been easier if he were potty trained.  But it could have been so much worse and the little extra bonding that he and I did as co-adventurer's was well worth the hassle of it.  I must say that I am very disappointed with how little help people are willing to give other people who are traveling with small children.  I mean, just an extra hand to help unfold a stroller (luckily for me, I can do mine one handed) or to maybe make a funny face and distract a fussy child.  If it works, great.  If not, at least they tried.  But I can't tell you how many people would just stare while he was being fussy.  And by fussy I don't mean screaming mad, just a little frustrated and whiny.  Makes you want to say not nice things to them.  LOL  My opinions of people traveling with children are changed forever.  I don't feel sorry for them.  But I do know how it is now and will always ask if they need help with something.  Provided that I have the extra hand!

Hope y'all had a wonderful holiday weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. Well I will try not to stare anymore... but lets be honest I am without little ones so when a lady is sitting next to her child and its screaming... I expect her to make it be quiet or take it elsewhere.. I hate when people just let their kids scream and act like they can't hear it ugh... lol love ya girl glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Adventure,...you crack me up, love. Indeed it is true that you are without little ones, but I will not hold it against you or judge you (at all) when you have yours and later come to me to tell me that I was right. LOL You will find that no matter what you do, or where you take them, that if they want to scream, they're gonna scream. And some parents really have learned how to tune out a screaming child. If you don't, you go crazy. I can do it. With that said though, you also know the difference in the cries you're hearing. If he's just whinning then I can tune it out. But if he is hurt, it's an immediate snap to attention in your mind. You'll see someday. :)

    I love you too hun! Can't wait for the poolside laughs at Bungalow 34!

    ReplyDelete