Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

NOLA: Round 2

It looks like I'm going back to NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana) for another Memorial Day weekend!  I'm kind of a little more than excited about that for more than a couple reasons. LOL

I have someone new to introduce to you. His name is Mr. Geek Squad. And with his introduction... I have NO CLUE where to begin...

It's been many years since I was in high school (I graduated in '99) and even longer since I first met Mr. Geek Squad but nevertheless, he has been an integral part of my life. He was my very first boyfriend. 

I was 16 when we started dating, and a junior in high school. He was 17 (we are 5 month apart in age), a senior, and just about as wild as they got. Well,...maybe not THAT wild, but he wasn't chess player calm either. He drove a purple Ford Ranger, with limo tint on the windows and was fairly popular with the girls at our school because he had a charming side to him that would have a nun sweating in her knickers, easy. I'm not going to make any bones about the fact that I have a jealous streak a mile wide and twice as long as the Mississippi. It very rarely interferes with my relationships as I keep a tight leash on it, but let me tell you...it drove me freaking NUTS the fact that so many girls felt the need to flirt with him and he'd obliged them by flirting back. That being said, I loved him to pieces. As much as a 16-17 year old high school girl can love her boyfriend, I did.

How long were we together, you ask? LOL  I can't remember dates exactly but I think a whopping six months it was. Hey! In high school time, that's a long relationship!! But that was probably 6 of the most fun months of my life. There was a group of us that were fairly tight and it always seemed like we were going and doing something. Always busy. He said he remembers our relationship was like a rollercoaster. Just really fast paced. I concur. But within that six-ish months, he served as a first of many things for me. He was my first real date. The first hand I held in the hallways. The first ride to school that wasn't a girlfriend, the first flowers, the first jewelry. (He gave me a pair of diamond studs for my 17th birthday. That was in 1997. In 2006, they were stolen from me while I was gone on a det to Korea while I was deployed to Japan. I cried real tears because of that. To this day it bothers me.) He was my first love. So he's always been special, just not always liked. 

When he broke up with me, there was another girl soon to follow in my footsteps. We'll call her Skank Numero Uno, but S#1 for short.  She never realized it because she was too stupid, but he would realize some day that I left big shoes to fill and that she was in no way capable of filling them. In. NO. Way.  They broke up after a while...and due to some deceptive measures on her part, they had a child together.

He was the first to break my heart, also. And due to this, I did not speak to him for a great many years. He went on to get married (not to S#1---Thank God), and divorced.  Received heartbreak to rival some of my own. I don't remember it well, but he reminded me of a few years back of when he had tried to get ahold of me on MySpace. (I know right. MySpace? LOL Hey, we all did it...Haha!)  Apparently he had sent me a message and I returned one to him that told him, in no uncertain terms, to go f**k himself. It sounded like something I might have told him a few years back, but like I said, I only vaguely remember it. He said he was upset by it, but that he knew he deserved it. Be that as it may, I still apologized for it.

NOLA: Round 2 will be underway starting May 26th. I will be driving with Monkey to Mr. Geek Squad's mom's house. Mama Bear always did like me and recently has been just as excited about me coming down as Mr. Geek Squad and I have been. Insert warm fuzzies here. 

I'm about as nervous as a whore in church about the trip but at the same time, at complete peace with it. Since I've been in contact with him, it's become apparent why he and I were so good together in high school. Despite our breaking up due to his being a teenage boy and interested in other things rather than being a steady boyfriend, there is absolutley no denying that our personalities were on par. We didn't fight. I can't remember fighting with him once. We just, clicked. There were quite a few other girls who were just as jealous of me as I was of them. They couldn't come close though. They tried. But they were never me. He knows it.  I believe that my nerves may have something to do with realizing that he has changed a bit in the last 11 or so years.


That's not really him but I thought it was an appropriate picture...hehe. 

Mr. Geek Squad used to love the attention of every girl in the room. Somehow it sank in that that is WAY more trouble than it's worth and seems to be happy with just one girls attention. At the moment, she would be me. I've noticed he's become more of a private person...not so needy of other people's attention.  And even though my dad wasn't impressed with him as a young punk kid and I'm sure he thought Mr. Geek Squad wasn't going to amount to much, he went on to become a Computer Networking Engineer. 

The name comes from his request that I look up prices on iPads at Best Buy while he was in a training seminar...in Louisiana. We all know I live in Texas. So here I am, looking up the sales and specials for a store in New Orleans...while sitting in Texas. Really? LOL  So, the alias was born.

I am BEYOND ecstatic to take Monkey on another adventure and this time to get to see Mama Bear and Mr. Geek Squad...we're even pretty sure his dad, Papa Bear, will be around and not out on the boat!  I haven't seen them in years!!! Gonna be so much fun!!!

Is it May yet?!

1 comment: